Thursday, August 14, 2014

Basketball camp

James had a week of Basketball camp in July. I was very glad that he was willing to try. So far he's been more of an individual sport kid, so this was his first big kid team sport. (He did t-ball as a 4 year old but he probably doesn't remember that!)

Half days for one week. I would come to pick him up each day and he'd excitedly show me how he can run and dribble, how he can pass the ball, etc.

 

On the second day he was noticeably sweaty and tired! But so handsome :)

He received this bright tshirt and his very own Skyhawks b-ball!

 

 

On the third day I found them doing lay ups.

 

 

Group ending.

 

Parents were invited on the last day to watch them play "a game". His age level didn't play a game but really just practiced their drills. The other (older) groups were actually playing against each other.

I still cheered and supported James.

 

 

There was a tense moment when james' partner refused to do the drills with him. I was able to figure out from a distance it was because they both wanted to use their balls for their partnering. They ended up doing Rock Paper Scissors to find a compromise.

 

Back in business.

 

At the very end there was an awards ceremony. The kids clasped hands and made this bridge. James was the first one through and he was thrilled!

 

 

All week long we heard about Coach Buddy. At the end of each day I did see the extra support she was giving him. I asked James if we should get her a thank you gift. He immediately said "orange flowers!" I thought that could be difficult so red flowers were the second option.

I did find some and I brought them on the last day. James was ready to give them to Coach Buddy.

It was so sweet! First girl (besides his Mom) to get flowers from James!

 

 

 

And guess what? Coach Buddy told us that she just was hired at Woodcrest as the new gym teacher! I guess James has an automatic "A" now!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment